Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Meet our Festival Director Katie Bonnell

Age: 22

Major: Nursing

How did you become involved in Special Olympics? What motivated you to be Festival 
DirectorMy brother Gregory, who has Autism, is a Special Olympic Athlete. I became involved by accompanying him and my dad to his practices and just joining in. I learned to swim while at his SpO swim team practice, so I was immersed in it from a very young age. Once I was old enough, I was able to travel with the team to state competitions and assistant coach at practices, where I grew to love the athletes even more! Seeing the athletes come alive both on the court and off is inspiring to me and keeps me so involved in the organization and living the mission! When I came to Villanova, it was a natural fit for me to be so involved with organizing and leading the largest student run Special Olympics event! 

What is your favorite memory or experience from Fall Festival?
My favorite Fall Fest memory would be the Fall Fest after my dad passed away.  He was the assistant coach for my brothers Volleyball team and they had qualified for Fall Fest and watching them win the gold and the emotional response from the athletes, the families, and everyone around was incredible. Their coach told them to win it for my dad and I feel like my brother really took that to heart and played his heart out with everything he had. To witness that, as a student, sister, and committee member involved in SpO was truly a once in a lifetime experience.

What’s one thing you are looking forward to this year as Festival Director? 
Besides seeing my brother win the gold and the athletes having the best time of their lives, I am looking forward to seeing the student body, the committee, and the surrounding community come out and support the organization and the athletes. To see the committee members who have worked so hard to put on this great event and to see them really enjoy themselves and be proud of their work and thanking them for all of their great work will be really rewarding for me!

What other clubs or organizations are you involved with on campus? 
While this is my main commitment and leaves me little time to do other things, I am a member of the Student Nurses Association of PA and I go out and support all of the arts and theater events around campus! 

Some fun facts about yourself: My claim to fame is that I have never had a Facebook, which people tell me is cool, but I might have to cave once I graduate. 

Any additional comments about Special Olympics: It truly has been at the heart of my experience here at Villanova. There is no other organization on campus where I could get the experiences and form the relationships I have with SpO and I feel truly blessed to have been so involved from the start! Thank you to all of the committee members, athletes, coaches, volunteers, and families that make this weekend so great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment